Saturday, August 11, 2012

It Finally Happened...

I have finally received the right-angle drill! After about a month of intense life-changing events - wedding, comic-con, and a funeral - I have finally gotten around to reminding my co-worker that I needed to borrow this esoteric tool. Of course, when I borrowed it, the stars decided to not align properly (or maybe they did? )and I realized that the battery was close to dead and I had no charger. So I ended up having to wait another day before I could drill the hole. But one more day, relative to the 2 months of inactivity, isn't really that much. So, on a balmy August afternoon, I raced home after work with the charger and plugged in the Drill of Special Purpose +2, and prepared to work on the final step before painting.

Oh the irony though. It turned out, that the tool I had waited for was STILL too big to fit into the electronics cavity. Basically, my two months of activity was for wasted on false hope. However, a hole still needed to be drilled. As a spark of ingenuity (more of a "Why didn't I think of this sooner?"), rather than drill one hole straight across, I drilled two 1/4" holes at a slightly downward angle from both sides. They meet somewhere in between, and now I have a connected passage between the two cavities! Unfortunately, I also managed to scrape the drill up against the body of the guitar, so now there's a small blemish on what was once a perfectly smooth surface. That was probably karma for neglecting the guitar for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment